On Wednesday Steph returned to help Dave, Claire and I finish the leeks at Soule and fill some beds at Fuller with swiss chard, lettuce, and escarole. We met at Fuller and I got to drive the big tractor over to Soule where we finished sorting the leeks. Dave then pulled the three of us in the transplanter while we got them in the ground.
After that, we had lunch in the field and then headed back to Fuller – Steph on the cub, Dave on the big tractor, Claire driving the truck, and me riding in the trailer keeping an eye, and a hand, on the water tank. At Fuller, we popped all the swiss chard, lettuce, and escarole out of their flats to make them easier to transplant. While Steph was busy eating the transplants, Dave used the Super C to prepare the fields. For a couple of beds we only did two rows of plants, so two of us would ride the transplanter while the third continued popping plants. We had some leftover lettuce, so we hand planted that half-way up the row of escarole.
When that was finished, Dave used the cub to dig trenches for the dahlia’s and the four of us layed peat in the rows, placed the dahlias on top, and covered them with soil. It was a dirty job but will be well worth it come summer.
All of the transplants are looking great! Dave found a new place to get potting soil this year and, although more expensive, it seems to make a huge difference in the health of the plants.